Feed Your Fam: Salmon Burgers with Herbed Sherry Mayo
Yesterday we heard all about how Cat Cora balances a hectic life with raising a healthy family of four active boys. And today, we’re sharing a recipe from her latest cookbook, Cat Cora’s Classics with a Twist: Fresh Takes on Favorite Dishes. These Salmon Burgers with Herbed Sherry Mayo are delicious, tasty and a sure-fire way to turn regular burger night into healthy burger night! Eat it up, yum!
Salmon Burgers with Herbed Sherry Mayo
For the Mayo:
2 cups mayonnaise (FBGs recommend light)
3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar, white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
3 tablespoons dry sherry
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh herbs (equal parts chives, parsley, tarragon and basil, or whatever you have)
For the Burgers:
12 oz salmon fillet
1 red onion, finely chopped (about 1 c)
1 1/2 c plain, dried bread crumbs
1 large egg
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 scallion, finely chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
1 tsp kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c all-purpose flour, for dusting
1/2 cup olive oil
4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
4 lettuce leaves
4 tomato slices
4 thin slices red onion
1. For the mayo: Whisk together all the ingredients in a large bowl. (The mayo will keep in your fridge for up to one week, tightly covered.)
2. For the burgers: Cut the salmon fillet into three or four pieces and pulse in a food processor about 10 times, until coarsely ground. Don’t overmix; you don’t want the fish to turn into paste. Add the chopped onion, bread crumbs, egg and Tabasco, and pulse a few times to mix. Transfer to a large bowl. Mix in the scallion, basil, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
3. Shape the mixture into four patties, sprinkling on a few drops of water if the mixture is too dry to hold together. Pour the flour onto a plate and add a few grinds of black pepper. Lightly coat the salmon patties with flour on each side and set them on a plate.
4. Pour the oil into a large skillet (it should be 1/4-inch deep) and heat over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers but is not yet smoking. Gently place the salmon patties in the hot oil and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Line a plate with paper towels. When the burgers are done, transfer them to the paper-lined plate.
5. To assemble the burgers: Place each salmon burger on the bottom of a bun, spoon on the mayo, and top with the lettuce, tomato, and onion. Cover with the top half of the roll and serve.
Delish! And a fantastic way to get those healthy Omega-3 fatty acids in! Be sure to check out Fit Bottomed Girls today, too, to win Cat’s new cookbook and another recipe—this time for Spinach Paella! —Jenn