10 Hot Mama Tips to Lose 10 Pounds

comfort zone 10 tips to lose 10 pounds Fit pro Sara Dean is one of our go-to experts on all things healthy moms. She’s given us tips on losing belly fat and today she’s sharing 10 tips to lose 10 pounds. Seeing as I’ve got 10+ pounds to go in the weight-loss department myself, I’ll be checking myself to make sure I’m implementing these as well!

10 Hot Mama Tips to Lose 10 Pounds

I’m a fitness professional and mom-to-be who has been helping moms lose weight for the last nine years. In that time, I have been able to really narrow down what works (and toss out a ton of stuff that does NOT work) in order to help moms lose fat, get lean and look and feel their very best.

I hate to see moms waste their time trying out the latest, greatest weight-loss gimmicks. It’s unbelievable how much junk is out there—not to mention how much money we spend thinking the junk will work for us. It makes me crazy. So I’m going to give it to you straight! THIS IS WHAT WORKS. I’m not saying it’s easy. I’m saying it works—and it’s not that hard. If you do it right and do it well, you will have an awesome body that will serve you well for the rest of your life. It will be so worth it! Oh, and you’ll be hot.

Read on for the principles that guide this kind of weight-loss success…

Comments

1. Ivori says

Number 2 says :you must lift more than 3- to 5-pound dumbbells to get any benefit from your strength training sessions. You should always choose weight that you can perform no more than 10 to 12 reps with.

I can only do 8 reps with my 5 pound weights, so anything heavier than that, and I’m sure to sprain something.

2. frozenn says

While I do agree with some of the points being made, I agree with others here that a couple of these do seem a bit too extreme. And all for what, 10 pounds?

Most especially the no grain one. It’s hard for people to stick to no-grain diets for life, especially if it’s a staple where they live (like in Asia where I’m from)…Not to mention it isn’t uncommon for people on lower carb diets to just put back all the weight they lost when their will power doesn’t measure up over long periods of time. I’d rather eat a serving or two a day of wholemeal than to breakdown at the end of a week/month and stuff myself with worse junk.

I’m a strong believer in portion control and moderation, I don’t cut out large groups of foods from my diet. I even allow myself cheat meals now and then, it does wonders to keep me motivated to never give up. It’s what has worked well for me, and I’ve been able to shed weight and feel better about myself without having too many needless cravings.

Anyway, that’s just my take on this article. Different things work for different people in the end, but I hate to see an article promoting extreme measures that might be too hard to follow. :)

3. Erin says

Sorry if this came off as too hard-core for you gals! It was my intention to pass along new ideas for those who might be struggling to kick a few stubborn lbs. As always, take ideas home that work for you and toss those that don’t. As I said in the very last line, giving up grains would be impossible for me, so I hear ya! :)

-FBM Erin

4. Jacklyn says

I love these! I am a personal trainer and I am always looking for good tips/info to give my clients. These are are resonable and simply stated.

5. Sara Dean says

As the author of the article, I’ll just clarify a few things. I don’t want folks to feel overwhelmed by this :).

First, yes, this is a lot to bite off at one time. But if you make strides in a few of these areas over a month or two you would notice a big difference in your health and fitness! I always say it’s about PRACTICE, NOT PERFECTION. What is good for one person may not be reasonable for the next. And all change takes time. These are changes my weight loss clients make over 4 weeks to see significant results. You could implement them all at once for much faster results, but again, only if that’s reasonable for you/your lifestyle.

As for reducing or eliminating grains, it is hard – very hard and a big lifestyle change. But if you follow the research on grains, specifically gluten, you’ll see that the link between disease and grains is overwhelming. You will see a ton of research coming out on this in coming months/years. I had to make this change for medical reasons and it wasn’t easy, but my health is in a much different place.
    If you do consume grains, they should be used as fuel and consumed at breakfast/lunch, so you can burn them. I DO NOT want people to eliminate carbs – they are absolutely necessary!!! You can get tons of carbs (all you need!) from vegetables and fruits. Again, this is a process to look at over time, for most people. And I’m the first to admit, in the second tri of my pregnancy I’ve greatly increased my grains, as I need fast calories at times. That is what is working for me now. Just like you, I have to do what I have to do on any given day :).

Hope that helps! Sadly, there are no magic pills for weight loss. These are the steps I’ve seen real women take to have real and long term results.

6. Lucy says

I think these tips are good ones, especially if you’re losing “the last 10 pounds.” Or if you’re stuck at a plateau. As far as the “good-bye grains” tip, I think it might be necessary to get the momentum going for weight loss (or to reduce body fat that is already in a healthy range). I don’t think it means that you can never eat grains again, since that’s just not sustainable, but why not give it up for a few weeks or months? In the end, you won’t miss it as much as you think.

7. Lindsay says

I gave up grains a couple of months ago, and honestly it was just not a big deal. I think sometimes the thought of doing something can be worse than really doing it. I thought I’d be wanting to have a memorial service for my old way of eating and need to grieve the loss of bread in my diet, but I have found such awesome recipes out there on the internet that I just have not felt any pain with giving them up. I very occasionally have a bowl of old-fashioned oatmeal when other grocery stocks in my house get low, but it’s rare. I even found a waffle recipe that uses flaxseeds and whey protein powder instead of flour and they are WAY better than regular waffles! TRY going grain-free and you might find it’s not so bad (Oh, and I’ve lost 15 pounds in the past couple of months, too)!