It can be tough to keep your health and fitness top of mind when you’re traveling. But a change of scenery doesn’t have to mean a total change of your healthy routine. Today, one of our favorite go-to fit experts, Nikki Glor is sharing some of her best healthy traveling tips that she’s learned from experience. She’s even created the Fit Travel Workout DVD and is author of the new book Slimnastics. (For more on Slimnastics, check out this workout!) Take it from her: You can be more active anywhere, whether you’re on vacation with the family or traveling for business!
10 Tips for Healthy Traveling
1. Workout PJs. Pack workout clothes that you can sleep in, then throw on a sports bra and sneakers. A T-shirt or tank can easily do double-duty, saving you precious room.
2. Sneakers to go. Fly or travel wearing your sneakers so that you don’t have to take up suitcase room.
4. Music to move. Pre-load a few fun fitness playlists to get you in the mood to sweat.
5. Hotel moves. Learn to use hotel furniture and hotel accessories in your moves, like coffee table jumps, couch dips, stool lunges and chair kicks.
6. Multitask. Use my Fit Travel Workout multitasking toning moves that tone two or more body parts at once, like triceps push-up glute raises and side plank hip dips with thigh lifts. This can cut workout time in half with double the effort.
7. HIIT it. Use HIIT (high intensity interval training) plyometric cardio intervals between the multitasking muscle moves like jumping lunges and squat thrusts.
8. Digital data. Bring a small laptop like a MacBook Air or iPad and download workouts before you leave.
9. Apple appetizer. Eat an apple before a big meal. It curbs hunger to keep portion sizes in check.
10. Alcohol IQ. If drinking alcohol, do white wine spritzers, champagne or vodka/soda for low-calorie options.
For motivation, moves of the day and more from Nikki, check out her on Twitter at @NikkiFitness. Do you ladies try to stay fit on the road? —Erin