I know we just ran a green fertility smoothie recipe last week, but can you really have too many green smoothie recipes? I think not. And as I daydream about warmer mornings — seriously, the chill factor seriously cramps my smoothie style — I’m bookmarking this Glowing Green Smoothie recipe to try as soon as I don’t have to defrost my toes in the morning.
This green smoothie recipe came to us courtesy of People.com; it’s Kerry Washington’s fave from nutritionist Kimberly Snyder. Jam-packed with dark, leafy greens and sweetened naturally with apple and pear, it’s a super-nutritious drink for pregnant women — or anyone! — and a great way to start the day.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ head of a large bunch or ¾ of a small bunch of spinach
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1 pear, cored and chopped
- 1 banana, sliced
- Juice of ½ fresh lemon
- ⅓ bunch cilantro, optional
- ⅓ bunch parsley, optional
- Add 1½ cups water and chopped head of romaine to the blender. Starting the blender at low speed, mix until smooth.
- Gradually moving to higher speeds, add the celery, spinach apple and pear. Add the cilantro and parsley, if you are choosing to add them. Add the banana and lemon juice last.
Ever put herbs in your morning green smoothie? I’m not usually too adventurous with my morning smoothie, but I love the idea of the cilantro and parsley for a bit of a kick! —Erin