I did it! Even though I came down with a cold the week of my half marathon, I effectively kicked it and was able to enjoy my run. It was actually more fun than I thought it would be, even if my husband might have thought it was less fun than he’d hoped.
You can read my entire race day recap over on Girls, but a few highlights were as follows:
- Me tripping over a large piece of wire under a mile into the run — and miraculously not falling down
- Men flipping on pogo sticks
- Finding a porta-potty mid-run without a line, key for a quick break
- A pug, which I took as a good omen
- Me discovering what long distance runners have been talking about when they talk about GI distress because OMG
If you had told me back when I signed up for the race that running for longer than 2.5 hours was not just possible but not even that bad, I don’t think I would have believed it. I mean, I started my training with 20-minute workouts of one minute walking, one minute running. To have made it to the point where I ran almost the whole thing? Crazy! So if you’re thinking about doing a half but haven’t been brave enough to sign up, trust me when I tell you: If I can do it, so can you!
What goal are you working toward right now? Not gonna lie…I’m kinda thinking about signing up for another. —Erin