There is little better than coming home to a meal in the slow cooker at the end of a long day. To have dinner ready and waiting for you when you need it is pure bliss, particularly if you’ve got kids who will hound you when they decide they want dinner. At 4:30.
Now imagine three of those dogs and yelling and this:
… and you have some sort of idea what it’s like when I make dinner. Slow cooker days, therefore, are my favorite days.
My husband has requested a white chicken chili for awhile and after a couple of busts, he went recipe searching on his own. I’m glad he did because he found this gem of a recipe from Maebell’s. Now, you can go hit up that original recipe because it is delicious and might be exactly what you’re looking for in a slow cooker chicken chili. But I found it to be a little heavy on the chicken and I wanted it to be more soup-like, so I made a couple of tweaks, namely less chicken and another can of beans. And because kids, one less jalapeño. But because I detest reading recipe reviews that are like, “This was fabulous! I just added a couple of extra onions, some oregano but I won’t say exactly how much, diced tomatoes, and a splash of my firstborn’s tears,” I’ve added the recipe here with my tweaks.
- 1 chicken breast or 4 chicken tenderloins, fat removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeño
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cans green chilies
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 3 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Throw the onion, jalapeno and garlic in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Top with chicken breast and spices.
- Add undrained cans of green chills and salsa verde.
- Add the cans of drained and rinsed white beans and chicken broth.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Before serving, shred the chicken and add it back to the crock pot.
- Squeeze lime juice into the soup and sprinkle season salt, stir, and let simmer an additional 20-30 minutes.
Now, it is a little spicy, so if your littlest hooligans aren’t into spiciness, you could omit the jalapenos. Serve this with a cornbread muffin and you’ve got a yummy dinner that takes just 10 minutes to prep. I’ve already added the ingredients to my grocery shopping app so I’ll always know what I need.
Do you have any favorite slow cooker recipes? I’m off to check out more of Maebells slow cooker recipes … —Erin