Many times “spring break” feels more like “winter break.” If that rings true for you and you’re stuck inside for your kiddos’ spring or Easter break, due to either rainy or cold weather, here are our best tips for surviving it inside without breaking the bank.
6 Fun Spring Break Ideas When You’re Stuck Inside
1. Library story time. My kids love to read. The first time I took Goldie to a story time, I thought she would never leave. Her eyes never left the book and I swear she has never sat so still. Many libraries offer story time for several different age groups. Some even have a small craft to go with it.
2. Free/discounted days at museums. Some museums in your area might have discounted or even free days during the week.
3. Hit the mall. But leave those credit cards at home. Whenever we have bad weather one of our go-to spots is the mall. Goldie (2 1/2) and Mona (14 months) both love to ride the carousel and there is also free play space. I have to stare at one spot pretty much the whole time, but YAY! I ride free. Even just walking around and riding the elevator are fun.
4. Open gym at a gymnastics center. Our community rec center opens the gymnastics center to all ages for a large chunk of the day. It’s only $5 and certain to get all their energy out.
5. Don’t be afraid of a little drive. Sometimes things in our own bubble can become less exciting but the exact same thing in a new location can revive it again, If you’re already a regular at story time, gymnastics, the mall, etc., check out what’s happening 20 minutes away.
6. Search the internet. I did a simple search for “fun things to do in Kansas City” and a list of 50 free or inexpensive things came up. No doubt you’ll find awesome things to do in your town, too!
Stay tuned later this week when I share how the parents can get a break during “spring break,” too! —Julie